Monday, November 2, 2009

#26 "Wired"

#26 Aafke Swart Steenhuis of Ithaca, NY

“Wired”

Embellishments & Techniques: First, I painted the bra using acrylic paint. Then I quilted the bra by machine using 100% cotton thread. The copper wire was knitted and the side panels are covered with netting used in Maine for the bait bags for lobsters. I used glass beads as well as buttons for further embellishment. Since this was a strapless bra, I added a tube of fabric to the thin clear plastic strap and sewed it on.

Artist’s Statement: Breast cancer has occurred to a lot of friends, near and far, within my circle of friends. In the past I participated in “Quilt for a Cure”. When I heard about “Brazieres for a Cure 2009”, I jumped at the chance to participate. To decorate a bra was definitely challenging, but after I started, the bra developed and got a life on its own. Orange is my favorite colour and I use and wear it almost daily. So of course, the bra had to be orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment