Tuesday, November 3, 2009

#97 "My Challenge"

#97 Jane Gaffney of Conklin, NY

“My Challenge”

Embellishments & Techniques: I used pink, yellow and maroon yarn to crochet the bra cups and sides. The pink ribbon material supplied was used for the straps and closure. Pink fabric paint was used for part of the straps and center design between the cups, front and back.

Artist’s Statement: Dedicated to my mother Helen Parry and sister Sandra Grishom. As a crochet beginner, this was a challenge for me. It was inspired by my 89-year-old mother who sews, knits, crochets and does quilting – making blankets for members of her family (children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren). She also makes them for “Many Arms Reach You” organization. At 78, she endured 6 weeks of radiation for Breast Cancer and survived. My sister, at 36, survived a radical mastectomy, chemo and medicine – and is now 65. The project was nothing compared to the challenges anyone who has cancer endures.

No comments:

Post a Comment