Monday, November 2, 2009

#42 "The Faces of Breast Cancer"

#42 Cheryl Moore of Brooktondale, NY

“The Faces of Breast Cancer”

Embellishments & Technique: Painted with Setacolor transparent fabric paints. Faces made with painted fabrics, machine sewn and stuffed with polyfil. Sculpted features, with fabric marker, paint colored pencils. Hair, felted to heads. Heads (faces) sewn to bra. Lining fabric colored with Setacolor paint (diluted). Metal BB’s have been used as counter weights in back hang tags.

Artist’s Statement: The idea for decorating the bra just jumped into my mind. I was curious to know who gets breast cancer. I was helped by Bob Riter at the Cancer Resource Center of the Finger Lakes, who provided me with the websites I note on my bra. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out how to place the faces on the bra, as it is large. Several friends suggested I leave one cup “empty”, and I did. I really enjoyed working on this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment